Tutorial - Installing KYB Sport Rear Shocks
This is a simple tutorial on how to install our KYB monotube gas rear shock absorber upgrade kit. Total install time should take less than one hour. This tutorial covers installation on the right side of the car, but left side installation is identical.
1. Park car on a level surface and apply the hand brake.
2. Jack Up the side you are working on: Place a jack under the lifting point just in front of the rear wheel. Lift the vehicle until the rear tire is off the ground by about an inch and a half.
3. Remove the rear wheel.
4. Unbolt the top of the shock absorber: Locate the top shock absorber bolt. Remove it using a breaker bar and a 15mm socket.
5. Unbolt the bottom of the shock absorber: Locate the bottom shock absorber bolt. Remove it using a breaker bar and a 14mm socket.
6. Prepare new shock absorber: Remove the shock absorber from it’s box. Cut the strap that is holding it in the compressed position. The shock absorber will gently rebound to it’s fully extended position. Cut the zip ties on the ends of the shocks, but don’t lose the bushings that they are holding.
7. Attach bottom of shock absorber: Making sure the two bronze bushings are in the lower shock eyelet, put the shock absorber in it’s position and run the stock lower bolt through the trailing arm and the shock. Tighten and Torque this bolt to 74ft/lbs (100Nm).
8. Line up top of shock absorber with mounting point: If you look at the top of the shock absorber you will note that the shock eyelet is probably below the mounting point on the chassis. You may be able to line them up by lifting on the trailing arm. Another option is to place the tire you removed under the spring perch and slowly lower the jack until the shock eyelet and the mounting point line up.
9. Attach top of shock absorber: A dry thread locker is already applied to the included 10mm bolt. Bolt the top shock absorber eyelet to the mounting point on the chassis. Torque this bolt to 52ft/lbs (70Nm). DO NOT USE THE ORIGINAL TOP BOLT, Only use the supplied 10mm bolt
10. Reinstall rear wheel and lower car.
11. Repeat steps 2 through 10 for the other side of the car.